Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Adventures in Beijing and my first Olympic Event!

Date: August 10, 2008
Location: Dorms
Time: 11:30 pm

This was the day that I was waiting for. A free day to explore Beijing, to finally get lost in the city...with 2 friends of course. So here is the story: we ordered tickets for Women's Preliminaries
of Team Gymnastics online and they needed to be picked before 1:30pm that day. Why the deadline you may ask? Well, that was when the event was going to begin. So at 7 am in the morning, Allison, Lana and myself venture out to downtown Beijing with nothing more than a few maps and some Yuan to get us through transportation.



We left before breakfast was even ready, plus there were huge chances of a massive downpour during the morning and afternoon.





We got to the bus than to a train and finally to the beautiful Olympic Park. We were set and ready to pick up our tickets from the will call center, too bad there was NO WILL CALL CENTER. I started to panic. I had just invested a good amount of money to an event that we could possibly not have tickets too. To add on to it, we got lost. And it rained.

To make it even more difficult, I cut my toe open on a man hole in the street. I totally McGyver'd the situation and took some huggies baby wipes and a hair tie to wrap my toe to keep it from getting infected. We ran to a Olympic Volunteer tent and a wonderful guy named Liam (?) (pretty English name if you ask me) brought me a first aid kit to fix my toe. I sanitized it and wrapped so well. I was impressed, my dad would be so proud of m


To make matters worse, we still didn't know anything about my tickets.



I was getting depressed. I really wanted to see Nastia and the girls compete for the gold. Lana took control, she made some phone calls.
Look at her "You-better-Have-Our-Tickets" face:
She did something right because we had the info to get out tickets. We picked them up..it was one of the happiest moments on my life. The rest can be explained in these pictures. Oh and I got to do 2 things off my list:
1. Hug the water cube.














2. Picture with the mascot!




























This one is for my mom. See? Told you I found the Today show set! :)
The USA gymnastics team!

I have so many more pictures to upload that I might actually consider opening up an online photo album for everyone to see all of them.

Gymnastics was awesome and incredible. I 'll definitely put more up tomorrow. I hope you guys enjoyed this picture-filled post. :)

2 comments:

Carly said...

Hi Kisha, I am from Harlingen and found your blog - it is really fun keeping up with your adventure. Keep it coming - be safe and have fun.

Anonymous said...

Hello Kish! I am just worried about the toe...the toe wrap looks great!!! as expected from a doc's daughter...Red Cross anyone!!!If the pain continues, start the CIPRO..2x a day...just a suggestion!

Love your blog...say hi to RAFA, Roger Federer and Michael Phelps! Please take care...Popsy ;-)