Thursday, August 7, 2008

16 hours in a plane?!?!



Date: August 4, 2008
Location: Air Canada flight to Beijing
Time: 9:53 pm

We’ve been in the air now for quite a few hours and it seems as though we still have a good amount to go. I haven’t been in a plane this large since the first time my parents brought me to United States. Besides the little adventures I’ve had in the airport and all through Detroit, this trip has been pretty awesome. I met all the people in my group and I have to admit, they all seem really cool. I guess it’s hard not to get along when you’re going to experience something like the Olympics. To my surprise, I found a few people that are willing to try all the bizarre foods they have. I’m the most excited about the deep fried insects! Yum. So my fear that I wouldn’t have someone that I would get along with is completely gone. I’ll admit, I was a little quiet in the beginning, but when you have a 2 hour layover, its tough not to open up and have some hilarious conversation with people.
While a few of us were walking through the airport, I noticed a handful of men wearing track suites that said CUBA on the back. My friend Randy and I tried to figure out what sport they were playing, soccer? Baseball? Hockey? (Yeah it’s doubtful that Cuba has a hockey team, but I swear one of them has a hockey stick). Then when we all finally boarded he plane, the stewardess made the announcement that Olympic Committee members, athlete family members and the Cuban Men’s Volleyball team. How cool is that?!?! I really wanted to get a picture with them, but that just would’ve been a little strange. No worries, I hope to see them advance and do well. There were also guys wearing sombreros but I think they just got back from a vacation from Mexico.


So let me tell you about this plane I’m on. Besides the fact that it’s huge, they have these cool little screens on the back of every seat. It’s actually like a touch screen pay-per-view except its all free. We get to choose any movie we’d like to watch, from Iron Man to Prince Caspian to Kung Fu Panda. They also have television shows and XM radio. How fancy is that? Oh let’s not forget about the food! They gave us unlimited snacks, an awesome beef and rice dinner and some noodles and sandwiches for a snack. They also have unlimited beers and drinks. Don’t worry mom, I’m not drinking on the plane J
We should be landing in Beijing at 3:30 pm. A few more hours to go….

1 comment:

tank top said...

I don't know what it is about long flights to foreign countries... But I love them... Something about the seclusion in a plane with the anticipation of being somewhere new in the next stop.... Oh yeah and the music and movies that I don't have normal access to... I'm glad you got a chance to be in the same flight with the Olympians, that's just Kick Ass.... Have fun in China, I want Pictures soon