Thursday, August 7, 2008

At the airport...

Date: August 3, 2008
Location: Houston Hobby Airport
Time: 5:00 pm

For some reason the flight from Harlingen to Houston is always the shortest. I remember barely getting relaxed with my iPod then suddenly, the flight attendant tapping me on the shoulder asking me to turn off all personal electronic devices. Well, I made it guys. I’m finally on my way to Beijing, China to see the Olympics. With a few days full of stress (and playing Madden with my little brother and beating him, might I add) I managed to pack everything in under 48lbs. I won’t lie, this was probably the best packing job I’ve done in all of my travels. From the perfectly portioned toiletries, to the cool little passport holder my mom gave me, I’m totally ready for this trip. My mom clearly explained to me the possibilities of my belongings being stolen, getting pick pocketed and even being kidnapped. Of course, my poor little brother started to get a little nervous. He was trying to figure out what type of things he could line all my bags with (sheet metal, chain mail, etc) so that even if sliced into, nothing would come out. I thought it was really sweet that he was concerned about the safety of my belongings. He also suggested that I learn how to fight, so I might work on that while on my 16 hour flight.


I’ll be staying a night in Detroit before heading to Beijing Monday morning. I really do hate staying in hotel rooms alone. I’ve watched far too many CSI, Cold Case and Without a Trace that I get really paranoid about getting the room called murder central (CSI fans know this, it’s actually the last room in the hallway next to a window and the fir exit) and just straight up being kidnapped. I already know that my parents are going to read this and get a little worried, my dad already said he was going to have some difficulty sleeping. Sorry parents J See, these are the thoughts that go through your head after you spend the whole night packing and watching a Without a Trace marathon.
To be honest, the only thing I like about hotels is the free stuff you can always ask for and the fact that someone makes your bed, oh and in the really nice ones you get some form of chocolate…yum.
I meet all the people for the first time tomorrow morning at the airport. Excited? Yes. Nervous? Definitely. I really hope I find someone that I really get along with. I also hope that the person is up for anything. I plan on eating every type of food in China, from the crispy insects to the sugared fruits I’d like to try it all.
My friend Steph just informed me that I can hug a panda for $125. Why would I do that?!?! Hug a panda? Now although that sounds pretty adorable, it just doesn’t seem like it would end well. I can just see it now:

FILIPINO GIRL FROM USA MAULED BY BABY PANDA.
Thanks Steph.

No comments: