Friday, August 8, 2008

Forbidden City!

Date: August 7, 2008
Location: Dorms
Time: 9:45pm

The Forbidden City! This massive landmark was absolutely gorgeous. I got lost so many times in the details of all of the buildings. This area was once kept only for royalty and it's actually in the process of a massive face lift. To tell you the truth, it looked just as beautiful as it did in the paintings they had on display. One area in particular took my breath away. The view from the top gate at the Forbidden City. This is the spot where Chairman Mao made many of his important announcements. It was an impeccable view. Everyone looked like ANTS. haha
























The people in this country are an interesting mix. Some are incredibly friendly and more than willing to show off their English speaking skills. We came across a few Olympic athletes throughout the park, its quite an interesting sight to see tall foreigners walking amongst all the short people in China. I got stopped a few times asking if I was from China and was just leading a group of American tourists.

What I've learned the most about being in China is that the Chinese are incredibly proud about their country, but it's not like the American out going, in face type of pride. It's a silent, quiet and strong distinguished aura they give out. Even our translator Tom finds such great pride and happiness that we decided to visit China during a time of great celebration.

Just in outside of The Forbidden City, the Olympic Flower display was present. Here are some wonderful pictures :)



















After a long walk, we decided to go to the official Olympic store to buy some souvenirs. Words cannot describe the madness. I have never seen so many people rush towards products since Tickle Me Elmo. IT WAS RIDICULOUS. In essence, I went through a riot to grab some authentic Olympic Memorabilia for everyone...so you guys better love it! :)









4 comments:

tank top said...

I'm sure I'll enjoy what every you get from the Olympics... It's been on my TV the whole time, and I have yet to be upset with any of it... Take care and I hope the camera pans across where you were seated at some time, not that I'd see you, but it be nice to know you watched the same events

Anonymous said...

Tank Top said it perfectly....
I have three TV's on in different rooms watching different stations(kinda obsessed!!..I know, but I'm MOM!!! so be quiet!)hoping that I'll catch a glimpse of you but actually feeling really good that I might be watching the same events with you.. Missss you sooo much.. Tell Derek I said "HI DEREK!!!" Really appreciate him being with you around the place..Love you...MOM

Anonymous said...

those pics are really beautiful...I am hoping to catch a glimpse of you on primetime TV...please be careful...kinda worried about the "incident" but we are praying for your safety...love lots...Dad ;-)

Anonymous said...

I knew that people were going to mistaken you as a local how funny is that! You need to say "Hi im Kisha wanna hang out?" In chinese! But im jealous you went to the Forbidden City. I had the same reaction when i went to the Chitzen Itza in Mexico with Jeannette! I was wandering all over because i was so intrigue by the details of the architecture of statues and all. But im glad your safe im always reading the news about "incidents" so dont be a badass and be careful i need you to be back in one piece! :) OSA loves ya!